Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Importance of Stillness


Are you like me? My mind is always moving, thoughts after thoughts after thoughts. At any given point in time I am thinking about at least three different things. A project I want to do, all those things on the “to do” list and upcoming travels. It’s no wonder I stay so tired all the time. I never take the time to slow down my mind. Always afraid I’m going to miss something. The truth of the matter is my lack of focus is causing me to miss many things. Life is just passing by right in front of me and I am too busy to see it.

This became apparent to me yesterday when I drove right by a place I had been to at least 50 times in the last two years and I didn’t even see it. The bad part is I was actually looking for it when I passed by! That has to be a sign that my mind is way too occupied. How can I live in the now and enjoy all that is happening around me when my focus is on the future. A future that in truth may never even come, none of us are promised tomorrow. How can I possible expect to get grounded and connected to the universal pulse when I am so out of touch with my environment?

Here is the challenge presented to me. I am a very organized and efficient person. I plan ahead and make the most of my time. I live my life that way and have for several years now and it has been a major factor in my success with my career. I can multitask like you couldn’t possible believe. How do I still my mind long enough to get grounded and still accomplish all that I want or believe needs to get done? I’m just one person that feels the need to accomplish the tasks that two would find difficult. This is going to be a tough one! Wish me luck—No! wish me stillness of mind!

Today Homework: Find at least 20 minutes every evening to meditate and still my mind...

DSC02944C


I can do this! I have to do this if I want to find that connection. All things are possible if you believe…

2 comments:

  1. You sound like a gemini :) Well, that's the point of meditation. To make you calm your mind down, focus it, energize your body, and use that to do things more efficiently. Of course, it requires practice, but I am sure you can achieve it.

    ReplyDelete

You decided to leave a comment! That’s great; I want to hear your thoughts on the posts. Thank you for participating.--Randy