Friday, January 23, 2009

The Beginning

I guess, I should back up to the beginning to tell you how I began this journey. I never have been one to believe in traditional or organized religion. As a small child I would attend church with my mother’s sister. I was very young, about three or four years old. My parents didn’t attend church but they encouraged us to go. Even at that very small age, I knew something inside of me just did not connect with the loud man at the front of the church yelling out scripture at the crowd. He was always so mad looking and spoke of a vengeful god that would punish you if you didn’t do exactly what you were told. I knew from that very moment that I didn’t believe a word that he was saying and I decided church wasn’t right for me.

A few years passed and I returned to vacation bible school and church in the evenings. I thought maybe I would feel differently as I grew older. I still felt the same. I just didn’t understand how one man could tell me his interpretation of scriptures, that have been translated from language to language and think it is the only way it could ever be. My days of going to church were over.

So, I grew up not knowing exactly what to believe. I did know there was a higher power in control and we would answer for out actions while we are on this earth. But, I also knew that there was much, much more going on around us than we were taught to see. I just didn’t know how it all worked, and I still don’t, but I am learning.

About 18 years ago my first teacher appeared and to this day she is one of my very, very dearest friends. She was a patient at a hospital where I use to work many years ago and that is where we first met. Late one evening after I had been working for over 14 hours, she came in to have an exam done. I was exhausted. During a conversation I was having with her she asked me what my astrological sign was. I told her I was an Aquarius, she reached into her purse and took out a little cloth bag filled with crystals. She pulled out two small pieces of raw amethyst and gave them to me. She told me to keep them in my pocket because they had healing properties and would help me keep my temper under control. I was fascinated as she pulled out one beautiful stone after another and told me the life enhancing properties of each stone and what healing powers she believed they have. She also gave me a small book that was a child’s guide to crystal energy. As I read the little book, I was absorbed in the entire concept of what I was reading. I already new about the electrical energy produce by our body and I could see how it was possible that since quartz contains a measurable electrical energy, one could possible have an impact on the other. With this thought a whole new world was about to open to me. Of course I had my share of nay sayers when I first started that practice. My response was, give me scientific proof that it doesn’t work… I still have one of the small amethyst stones all these years later. It is one of my heart's treasures. Do they actually have healing powers? I suppose it all depends on how strong your belief is... the mind is a powerful thing.

Today’s homework: Believe all things are possible…

Amethyst

Our minds have been trained to believe we need proof of everything to validate it. How many times have you heard someone say “Prove it”? Instead of believing something is not possible until it is proven, try believing all things are possible until someone can prove that it isn’t.

1 comment:

  1. I was also exposed to religion at a young age. There was actually a period during which I would pray the Rosary nightly. But I've come to realize that my place in not in organized religion. To me spirituality is far too personal to be dictated by a specific doctrine.

    I believe that all life has a purpose. It is an organizing force in the universe. It allows the universe to take hold of itself and guide it's own evolution. In the future I see life spreading throughout the universe - whether it be us, our descendants or our creations - with uncountable trillions of minds infusing ever particle with ideas. Everything is connected and everything is the same.

    I try to live my life by following these two basic rules:
    1. Live as you will without interfering with the ability of others to do the same.
    2. Compromise.

    ReplyDelete

You decided to leave a comment! That’s great; I want to hear your thoughts on the posts. Thank you for participating.--Randy